Saturday, March 21, 2015

Bob Dylan Quotes

Here's an interesting quote from Bob Dylan in a recent interview: "People's lives today are filled on so many levels with vice and the trappings of it. Ambition, greed and selfishness all have to do with vice. Sooner or later, you have to see through it or you don't survive. We don't see the people that vice destroys. We just see the glamour of it on a daily basis; everywhere we look...we see the destruction of human life and the mockery of it."

I would add a quote from scripture-- “Some men’s sins are clearly evident, preceding them to
judgment, but those of some men follow later—1st Timothy 5:24.” What does this mean? That some people’s sins aren't seen in this life, but their sins will be revealed when Christ returns.

I like the second part of the verse as it pertains to those of us who are saved—“Likewise, the good works of some are clearly evident, and those that are otherwise cannot be hidden.” My NKJV Bible explains this by saying “Unnoticed good works will become evident, if not in this life then at the judgment seat of Christ.” God is declaring here that those of us whose works aren't given a platform, or are validated or appreciated by men, will still be rewarded in heaven! I point this truth out because I have stepped out in faith many times yet felt nothing came from my efforts. Nothing I could 'see' that is. This is why we walk by faith and not by sight.

Every time I minister the gospel to someone when I sense a spiritual opening; or share a scripture; or simply sing or hum a hymn in the presence of others; or the many thoughts and prayers I have for others in private. All of these are acts of faith. Not only this, but if I am simply working on transforming myself into the likeness of Christ, then this has an effect in the spiritual realm, which in turn affects this world.

This is great news for us who might feel unnoticed or even ignored at church. This all might seem obvious to some, but for me this scripture is a revelation. It's not easy for me to walk and be confident in what i cannot see. But this is part of my salvation that I have to 'work out' as it deals with my faith and belief. I walk through life sometimes feeling I have no role to play. Then when I feel empty I want to take matters into my own hands. This is reacting out of the flesh-- the old fallen nature which Christ defeated on the cross. So the struggle here is will I be obedient to God's Spirit, or react to life's challenges and frustrations out of the old man, who God's has done away with? We can't often trust our thoughts or feelings, when we put our souls before the Spirit. “The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak—Matt. 26:41.” I do the best I can with what I know and God is definitely the one carrying me and doing the 'work'. 

Dylan also quotes from the hymn Stand by Me "In the midst of faults and failures, stand by me. When I do the best I can, and my friends don't understand, thou who knowest all about me, stand by me." I Thank the Lord that when you belong to Him, He does not leave you or forsake you. Through all my failings He continues His work in me! And just because people might not acknowledge my spiritual fruit, or include me in their ministries, doesn't mean that God doesn't see my fruit and acknowledge them. This is good news for someone like me who has struggled with the tension between the flesh and the spirit. I've learned the hard way it's not good to have too many expectations, and to watch for selfish motives. So I trust God to make use of me the way He sees fit, and that our rewards come from God in the next world, not from pleasing men.

No comments:

Post a Comment